Cheer Team

I was walking down the hall in my school early one day and I passed the gym where the 8th grade boys basketball team was having practice. I saw some of the girls, who are team managers, who were my old students and they ran out to talk to me. They said, "You should be a team coach!" and I told them no, but that I could probably be a cheerleader!

From there spun the idea to start some sort of cheer team. My coworker who runs the dance team let me have some pom-poms and I just started announcing to my sixth graders that I was going to stay after for the game and shake some poms. Then some of the kids who stay after just to kill time got in on the pom-shaking and cheering.

I only went to home games for the 7th and 8th grade basketball teams. For me, while not anonymous, it was another way to Niceness Ninja for the school. Bringing happiness, cheer, and positive support.


See, I'm not a sports idiot. Sure, there are some sports I still feel lost about, but I'm not a die hard sports person. I have some supreme dedication in other areas. But basketball is one of the sports I know really well. That and baseball. Those two sports I was really great at. Sure, I rocked at Volleyball, but it wasn't ever really a passion for me (plus there's some major burn scars from my youth regarding organized Volleyball stuff). But basketball.... Lived in the Triangle in North Carolina for over 5 years, worked at NCState WITH the student athletes of all sports... if I don't know basketball, I should feel ashamed of myself.

One of my saddest student stories from my early days in education comes from a basketball player at NCState. His name is Brandon Costner. He let his arrogance of his skills set in and while he's clearly had an amazing life of travel, it wasn't the life he wanted. He left NCState at the end of his Junior year, thinking he could be drafted. Brandon went undrafted. He had so much potential to be a great player. One more year and he could have been a decent draft pick, but instead he let his ego get the better of him. Pride before the fall and all that. There needs to be a humility when it comes to skill, no matter how good you are.

Anyways... While I cheered with my students who stayed, I was VERY dramatic. Not sure if it bothered anyone. I am just a very animated person. Plus... I mean... I'm an invested audience member. I also had to explain the game to several of the students who didn't understand it. But it was another happiness that bowled me over. I am a cheerer. That's where I belong. That's who I am. Whether trying to give you inspiration to push through your darkest moments or supporting you in your endeavors.... isn't that the Niceness Ninja at it's very core?

Since this was a new venture, I started to think about what cheer squads used to do when I was in school.  I couldn't execute some of the things I really wanted, but I could still make sure the players and coaches felt appreciated for their hard work and dedication. I'd send notes to the coaches to just keep their spirits high. I guess since they are guys, it didn't really matter to hear positive things and wishing them good luck. But... I did it anyways - Niceness Ninja mentality.

For the players, I made them a treat for their party. For the coaches I had some teachers help out with getting a card signed for the 7th and 8th grade coaches and I bought Buffalo Wild Wings gift cards to put in their cards. I asked the teachers to tell the students that the gift cards were purchased for THEM to give to their coaches.


I talked to one 7th grader on the day of their team parties and he was so excited that the Cheer Team had made them treats and thanked me for helping them appreciate their coaches. I didn't need the thanks, but trust me... it felt good.

The cheer team will continue through the girl's season. Go team!!!

Comments

Popular Posts